Explanation of the GvG Tiebreak Mechanic and how to successfully play a match that goes to 28 minutes.
If no guild lord has been slain until 28:00 the match is decided by the tiebreak mechanic usually referred to as Lord Damage. The guild which has a better lord damage value wins the match, but other than the name implies it's not just about damage dealt to the lord, as it involves punishment for a couple of defensive strategies.
- Dealing Damage to the Lord in General
- The effective damage per second you can deal to the guild lord is limited. Whenever the threshold for damage per second is exceeded the guild lord will automatically be healed for the offset.
- In the beginning of the match the effective damage per second is limited to 25 and reaches its peak of 300 at the mark of 12:00. The sooner in the match you reach the guild lord, the longer it will take to kill him.
- However, even when the damage is automatically healed, it still counts for Lord Damage.
- The health pool of the guild lord is 1680HP initially. Every morale boost will permanently increase the health pool by 300HP.
- The guild lord only takes damage if the number of attackers in the pit is equal to or greater than the number of surviving pit NPCs.
- Pit NPCs are: 2 Knights, 2 Pit Archers, 1 Bodyguard
- You can still deal damage to the lord if he receives more than one damage package per second. This means that a solo split character can deal a low amount of lord damage through the full pit if it features damage compression, such as hitting the guild lord at the same moment as using Mirage CloakNightfallDervish. Earth Prayers Mirage CloakFlash Enchantment SpellFor 1..6..7 seconds, you have a 40..72..83% chance to block incoming attacks. When you cast this enchantment, all nearby foes are struck for 10..34..42 earth damage.1010. When attacking the guild lord with multiple characters it means that one damage package per second is negated completely.
- Increasing the Lord Damage Value
- Hitting the guild lord with damage, see above.
- If your attack on the guild lord is blocked or misses it counts as dealing 50 damage.
- If a Zurrie Dervish hits the guild lord and a defending monk protects him with GuardianCoreMonk. Protection Prayers GuardianEnchantment SpellFor 2..6..7 seconds, target ally has a 50% chance to block attacks.514, the blocked attacks will sum up to an enormeous amount of lord damage very quickly. Likewise, a Blinding SurgeNightfallElementalist. Air Magic Blinding SurgeElite SpellTarget foe is struck for 5..41..53 lightning damage. That foe and all adjacent foes are Blinded for 3..7..8 seconds. This spell has 25% armor penetration. If this spell strikes an attacking foe, all adjacent foes are also struck and this spell deals 50% more damage.10¾6 elementalist may stop the dervish from killing NPCs but at the cost of likely losing the match because the dervish deals a lot of lord damage by missing attacks on the guild lord.
- If you're in the opposing pit and got hit by blindness, Blurred VisionCoreElementalist. Water Magic Blurred VisionHex SpellFor 4..9..10 seconds, target foe and adjacent foes are Hexed with Blurred Vision. While Hexed, those foes have a 50% chance to miss with attacks.10112 or similar effects or see that the opposing team used Protector's DefenseFactionsWarrior. Tactics Protector's DefenseSkillFor 5..10..11 seconds, adjacent allies have a 75% chance to block incoming attacks. Protector's Defense ends if you move.530 next to the guild lord, immediately start throwing spears at the opposing guild lord to improve your lord damage value drastically.
- Using an enchantment or a weapon spell on your guild lord counts as though the opponent dealt 50 damage.
- Avoid using enchantments on the guild lord if possible. Heal with Healing BurstFactionsMonk. Healing Prayers Healing BurstElite SpellTarget ally is healed for 10..130..170. All party members in earshot of your target gain Health equal to the Divine Favor bonus from this spell. Your Smiting Prayers are disabled for 20 seconds.5¾4, not Patient SpiritEotNMonk. Healing Prayers Patient SpiritEnchantment SpellFor 2 seconds, target ally is Enchanted with Patient Spirit. Unless this enchantment ends prematurely, that ally is healed for 30..102..126 Health when the enchantment ends. 5¼4.
- Don't be afraid of protecting the guild lord if it's else unavoidable that the opponent will slay him.
- It can be worthwhile to use few protective enchantments on the guild lord. Shield of AbsorptionNightfallMonk. Protection Prayers Shield of AbsorptionEnchantment SpellFor 3..6..7 seconds, damage received by target ally is reduced by 5 each time that ally is hit while under the effects of this Enchantment.5110 against a full team of foes hitting the guild lord is going to help your team win the match. A well-placed Stone SheathNightfallElementalist. Earth Magic Stone SheathElite Enchantment SpellFor 5..17..21 seconds, you and target ally have +1..24..32 armor and are immune to critical hits. When you cast this spell, all foes near you and your target take 15..59..74 earth damage and are Weakened for 5..17..21 seconds.10115 or Resilient WeaponFactionsRitualist. Restoration Magic Resilient WeaponWeapon SpellFor 3..10..13 seconds, target ally has a Resilient Weapon. While suffering from a Hex or Condition, that ally gains +1..5..6 Health regeneration and +24 armor.1016 can have the same effect. When playing against foes with enchantment removal, it's even worth it covering such an enchantment.
- Health drain (including vampiric weapons) and degeneration do not count towards lord damage.
- Characters based on degeneration, such as rangers and blood necromancers, are not good at dealing lord damage.
- The ideal martial weapon for dealing lord damage is sundering.
- Implications of the Bodyguard
- The bodyguard heals the guild lord for roughly 133 health points per second.
- While the bodyguard is alive a single healer can easily keep the guild lord alive with pure healing due to the damage to the lord being capped at a maximum of 300 per second.
- If the bodyguard has been killed monks will likely have to use protection prayers on the guild lord to keep it alive.
- With three damage dealers focusing the guild lord against two monks you may not slay the lord, but deal devastating amounts of lord damage due to the combination of raw damage and the opponent having to use a lot of enchantments on the guild lord.
- Killing the bodyguard is not required for winning the lord damage race, but it does help a fair chunk. If you can't kill the bodyguard quickly, simply focus the guild lord instead.
You can gain a large advantage for the lord damage race throughout the match by protecting your pit NPCs and taking out the opponent's. Split builds are usually designed around this concept by preventing the opponent to split to one's base while simultaneously sneaking out his NPCs throughout the match.
- Having more surviving pit NPCs than attacking foes negates one damage package on the guild lord per second.
- While their individual damage output is low, the five pit NPCs and the guild lord build up an impressive amount of pressure. A solo monk will have trouble to keep his pushing characters alive against the pit and even a single defending damage dealer. Against the full pit and two defending damage characters it's likely that the push will quickly wipe.
- If you wipe the opponent's push you prevent a lot of lord damage.
- You force the opponent to attack with two monks, leaving only one for defense in the base. If you were able to take out the opponent's pit NPCs throughout the match, you can play much more aggressive in the opponent's pit, potentially killing the solo monk with three or four damage dealers and slaying the lord.
- Depending on the opponent's defending damage characters you can attack with a solo monk due to the lack of pit NPC pressure, guaranteeing that your pit is safe with two monks.
Standard Lord Damage Split
Around the 24 minutes mark both teams have to prepare for a final assault on the opposing guild lord to either slay him or win by having a better lord damage value for the tiebreak. You need to know how to react in the lord race, sending the right people to defend and the right people to attack. Unless a team attempts a lord rush both teams usually split up into a defending and an attacking team, trying to keep the opponent's damage dealt to your lord minimal while maximizing your own lord damage. Generally, you send degeneration characters to defend your base because they're a threat for attackers but not valuable for accumulating lord damage themselves. Frontline characters push to attack the opponent's base as they have a much larger base damage output and can potentially wipe defending monks. If you have a single domination magic mesmer, it's usually sent to the offense. You always send your infuse to the assault team and keep your runner defending your own base. Examples below.
|Examples: Team builds and their standard splitting for the lord damage race. (Click [show] to the right to display them) ➝|