This page is an official policy on PvXwiki.
It has wide acceptance among editors and is considered a standard that all users should follow.
A redirect is a page that automatically brings the viewer to another article. Redirects are most commonly used with abbreviations, or when a page has been moved from one name to another.
To create a redirect, type the command #REDIRECT onto the article, followed by the link the article should redirect to. For example, the redirect Admin has the following text:
If a redirect article needs to be in a category, you can put the category links on lines after the redirect link. For example, to put the article Example 1 into the cateogry Category:Examples, follow the example below. Take note that the user will still be directed to the article that Example 1 would be redirecting them to.
#REDIRECT [[Example 1]] [[Category:Examples]]
You may list as many categories as needed (depending on the type of article).
Redirects are commonly used for:
- Common misnomers and typos.
- User space pages.
- Taking an article's place once it has been moved to a new name. See the section below for more details.
Redirects are unnecessary for:
- Unverifiable or uncommon colloquialisms.
- Redirects into the user namespace (i.e. a page outside of the user space may not redirect to a page within the userspace).
- Redirects from the user namespace (i.e. a page within the user space may not redirect to a page outside of the user space)
- Redirecting to articles that have been moved to a new name.
- Note that in the majority of cases, the redirect will be deleted. However, if the page were previously very popular, or it is reasonable to assume that a number of users may be watching that page, the redirect may stay.
- Redirecting to build articles, especially those that have been altered to accommodate new professions.